Wednesday, May 30, 2012

DAY 7 - Tuesday May 29 - THE ORPHANAGE REUNION

Little Moses

Kids at Sunday Church

Elizabeth - the director
Today was my most emotional day.  I met Rick and Ann Smith, a very nice couple from Chicago who moved to the Oasis orphanage shortly after my support had to end.  Despite my failures "on the hill", Rick and Ann have been able continue the good fight for those kids by actually living there for 2 years now! The orphanage is prospering under their guidance. This was the only real hope for those kids, given the systemic corruption of the adults and church elders overseeing the orphanage.   So we shared stories about Elizabeth, little Moses, Simon and the rest.

I presented to Rick and Ann a box of first aid items we packed at Project CURE and then continued our conversation at the Church of God compound.  Now THAT was something I was uncertain about, given the serious accusations made of the Church of God elder.  The good news is that the meeting was one of sincere apology for the corruption and the failure of our project.  But it was nice to have some closure and, at the same time, see Agnes and Joseph, my dear friends that actually live on this compound.

Agnes is a nurse that I've worked with extensively and Joseph was the electrician I hired to wire the orphanage and various medical clinics.  I brought some gifts for them, souvenirs actually from Colorado, which is what the next photo is about.

Judy, Joseph, Agnes and Ole Punda
We concluded our "reunion" around 3ish and Steve and I drove back to Nairobi.  We got to the hotel around 8pm and I crashed

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ole Punda, I like that name!

    It's really exciting keeping up with your route down there. Amazing work. Show some pictures of the surrounding landscape as well!!

    love
    stephanie and matthias

    ReplyDelete