Tuesday, May 29, 2012

DAY 3 - Friday, May 25 KYENI HOSPITAL

Sorry for the lag in postings.  Access to internet is limited here.  Anyway, it was great to reunite with Bishop Muheria.  We have really connected these past few years.  I feel like I've known him forever.  Here's our picture together on my last day in Kitui.  We have wide ranging conversations, from health care to politics to religion (both countries).  Bishop's obviously a significant spiritual leader in Kenya but I have been most impressed with his management skills, overseeing hundreds of churches, schools, medical facilities, etc.

Bishop Muheria and Ole Punda at Muthale Hospital

By the way, the Masai have a tradition of giving a Masai name to those who "walk among them".  My given name is Ole Punda.  Connotation - a man who bears heavy burdens.  Literal translation - Son of a Donkey.  Hummm.

My 2 day visit at Muthale Hospital was very successful.  Arrival of the digital X-ray machine was a really big deal (see earlier photo).  I feel they have a good management team more than capable of implementing our container of supplies and equipment.  Here is a photo of the key people:

From left to right: Fr Peter Muvea (Bishop's exec asst and my driver), Sister Margaret (medical operations "CEO"), Sister  Stella Mwelu (Hospital Administrator), Matron Flora Muchiri (Hospital Director) and THE Fr Joseph (Fr of local parish and who I call "Fr Master Negotiator")




No comments:

Post a Comment